Friday, November 14, 2008

Flux those joints.



All of the pieces of this panel are copper-foiled. (Foiled with copper?) The fit is tight and the gaps are pretty reasonable. I have my soldering iron heating up in the background and I'm beginning to add flux to my joints.
I'll solder the joints first and then come back and fill in all the seams. Later I will return and add a "bead" of solder on top of all the seams. This additional bead of solder hides the space in between the seams and adds beauty and a tactile feel.



Speed forward a bit and you can see the panel is completely soldered. (I know you can't see the back but trust me, it's soldered too!) I've also added a bit of solder (called tinning) to the perimeter of the panel. This perimeter does not need a thick build up of solder at this point. That will come later as the four panels and the top are soldered together.



Speaking of the four panels, here they are. The next step will be to solder them together. How will I do that?

No comments: